Sunday, January 20, 2013

Fast Five

Fast Five (2011) is the 5th in the Fast & Furious film series and the 3rd with Vin Diesel. Vin Diesel is a favorite around here, and I'll watch him in anything. While I'm waiting for Hannibal, I'm happy seeing his other offerings. I love the Riddick films.

The Younger Son gave me this DVD for Christmas. We think it's great fun and actually quite good. We're glad to hear there's going to be another.

trailer:



Rolling Stone opens with this: "Bless me father of all critic gods for I have sinned: I liked Fast Five." Slant Magazine doesn't like Vin Diesel, so who cares what their opinion of his movie is? Salon.com says,
That force of chaotic and unsatisfiable desire that Freud called the id is much closer to the surface in a movie like “Fast Five” than ever before in action-cinema history, and part of Lin’s peculiar genius is that he barely tries to conceal it.
Roger Ebert says,
What it all comes down to is a skillfully assembled 130 minutes at the movies, with actors capable of doing absurd things with straight faces, and action sequences that toy idly with the laws of physics.
DVD Talk closes by saying,
As far as action entertainment goes, Fast Five is a solid offering, despite making its protagonists nearly invincible and increasingly lawless. These are small criticisms for a movie whose 131 minutes feel like 90 thanks to its breakneck pace and pleasing mix of sets and stunts. I look forward to meeting up with these characters again in the inevitable follow-up. Fast Five proves that sometimes you can keep a good thing going.
Rotten Tomatoes gives it a score of 78%.

No comments:

Post a Comment