Wednesday, January 23, 2013

B is for Bengalese


I discovered the ABC Wednesday project earlier this week, and when I saw that this week's letter was "B" I took it as a challenge to get a decent picture of my sweet little Society Finches. Also known as Bengalese finches, they are easy to care for and make excellent pets for those who don't want a pet that needs a lot of personal interaction. They are a great first bird, not needing anything more than the right temperature range, room to fly, appropriate food and clean water and at least one other society finch to be social with. They are totally domesticated, don't exist in wild populations, and aren't the least bit shy around people. Just watching them will cheer you up.

They have a sweet little song, and the males will puff up and sing their hearts out serenading the female. They breed easily if you have the room and inclination, but I don't have room for more than the 3 pictured above. I have two males (the darker one and the solid white one) and one female (the one on the left in the picture above).

I found a Youtube video that shows what their song sounds like, though each bird's song differs:



Delightful!

6 comments:

  1. They're really pretty and do have a sweet song.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx :) they are fairly cheap and ordinary in the finch world, but i like the song and how well they always get along together. i've had birds that were fancier but none i liked better.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful.

    welcome to our little corner of the Internet!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweet. thx :) i'm glad to have found y'all. i found some interesting posts linked at your site.

      Delete
  3. What great birds. I just checked out the ABCWednesday site. Looks like they have a lot of participants. Maybe I'll join in one day. I like little "deadlines" because they inspire me to work in my sketchbook.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, that "b" just struck me, and i've been trying to get a photo of the finches for a while. i decided i'd just post the best i had by wednesday and be done with it. lol

      Delete